Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Cribbage


 

I forgot to make a post about my amazing cribbage achievement the other day!

For those that don’t know, cribbage is a card game involving a wooden board and pegs.  Basically its a race to the end of the board and you move along by gaining points from your hand and from the play.  I’m sure Wikipedia can give you a better description if you’re that interested...

ANYWAYS, I used to play all the time when I was younger, as both my grandfather and my dad were big fans of the game and quite good at it to boot.  I have fond memories (well, fond now; not so much at the time...) of being skunked (aka beaten soundly, by 31+ points to be exact) by my grandfather on multiple occasions.  As it turns out, the Captain is a cribbage man as well, so we’ve all been playing quite regularly this trip. 

Well last week I got the highest scoring hand I have every had in my playing career.  24 points.  For reference, 26 is the best hand possible.  *edit - actually, I've been corrected.  The best hand is worth 29 points!  Thanks Scotty!*

My cards were:  6 7 7 8 with an 8 on the flop.

Count it:
15-2, 15-4, 15-6, 15-8
Pair of 7s for 10, pair of 8s for 12
4 runs of 3 for 24.

Sick.

2 comments:

  1. 29 is the best... 555J, 5(matches J)
    24 is a stellar hand though! well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. niiiiiiceeee. I was playing the other day and taylor's mom got 5 5 5 J with a 5 on the flop- however the jack in her hand didn't match the 5 so she didn't get the knob but got 28! how crraaazzy!!!
    crib is wicked!

    ReplyDelete